Monday, August 11, 2008

The legendary Jamie Fuller weighs in.

Anyway, after dusting off the cobwebs, here's some favorite memories:

My senior year (Jeff's sophomore yr) our team had qualified to represent VT and play in the New England Christian School tournament. I don't remember the team we were playing against or how we were actually doing as a team, but I remember being down by 1 in the closing seconds of the game. My brother got fouled and had to shoot a 1 on 1 under pressure with a possible icing timeout in between. He nailed both free throws and we won the game to advance! Nice job bro!

Winning the Claremont Christian double elimination tournament was awesome my junior year. With having only 6 players on the team and winning all 3 of our games in less than 24 hours was quite the feat. I'll always remember that one because it was the first winning tournament I was ever part of at Trinity. In most other cases we were always the "soft" team that the host team always invited to ensure that they would be playing in the finals.

I can't remember the school's name, but it was always fun playing against them and the refs. It was another Christian school that had twin guards on their team. I remember playing them up at their home court with their "homer" refs. They fouled Jack Frizzell and I out of the game fairly early on and they went on to beat us. I never did like them much after that and enjoyed sticking it to them every chance I got whenever we played again. My therapist has told me get things off my chest so there. I already feel better.

I think it was my senior year we were playing down at a tournament in Wilmington. They put this kid on me to defend me who was pretty much inside my jersey hacking away at me everywhere I went. It was a frustrating point in the game and Jack Frizzell noticed it too. During a dead ball, he came over and told me to run the guy into his screen to get him off my back. So after setting up the meeting place, I ran the guy into Jack and Jack leveled him sending him flying backwards to the ground. Jack got called for the foul, but it was well worth it. I appreciated how Jack always had my back.

So here's a new top 10 list in no particular order: I'll let you think of the answers before I send them out. (sorry,this will probably only mean something to guys I played with and shortly after 1987-1993.)

1. Best rec specs
2. Smallest backup center
3. Deepest and best 3 point threat
4. Best and only 6th man 1990 (my junior year)
5. Best turnaround jumper from the foul line
6. Most athletic big man with big ups
7. Biggest trash talker
8. Best "Reggie Miller like leg-kick" on a jumper
9. Most creative and niftiest passer
10. Best shot blocker

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jamie. Those are GREAT; especially Jack drilling the guy. The twins were from Union Baptist; and believe it or not, I had forgotten about those foul shots. I do remember you telling me before I shot, "Don't worry, they're only white." It calmed me down and I made the 2nd one. I think it was tied and I missed the 1st actually ... J. Full

Unknown said...

Yes, it was Union Baptist I was thinking of. That was definitely a team I loved to hate. And as far as the foul shots go, I thought you had to nail both for the win??? Oh well, I'll still pencil you in for at least half the clutch player I thought you were.

Unknown said...

Weren't those the guys with the 90210 side burns?